The History of LaMott A.M.E. Church
LaMott African Methodist Episcopal Church is located at 1505 W. Cheltenham Avenue in the historic LaMott community. The town itself is located in Cheltenham Township, Montgomery County. The site was initially referred to as "Camptown", originating from the camping ground of the Third Regiment of the U.S. Colored Troops who served in the Civil War (1863-1865). The Church, much like the community in which it is located, has a rich and vivid culture and history.
The church started as an outgrowth of efforts to bring religious instruction to the area. It all begin in "The Old Stone House" on Willow Avenue, which was occupied by the Butcher Family, one of the town's most prominent families, and the earliest settlers to the area.
The school became an A.M.E. Sunday School through the skillfulness of Emanuel Johnson, president of the town, and a prominent member of Morris Brown A.M.E. Church along with the Reverend C. Felts, Pastor of Campbell A.M.E. Church, resulting in an organized A.M.E. Sunday School. William Butcher was the first
superintendent. Originally, the Sunday School was conducted in the old school house, and prayer meeting was held from house to house.
As the African American population continued to grow, the need for a church became more and more evident. Consequently, six Christian members, who desired something more spiritual than what the school could give them, had a thought... "BUILD A HOUSE OF THE LORD!" In 1888, a beautiful frame structure was built for the service of God, at the cost of $1500. The congregation worshipped in the building from 1888 to 1911.
It wasn't long before the congregation had outgrown its church. In the year 1909, the building fund became the emphasis of the church, and their hard work began. The congregation was jubilant as they prepared for the new church! "CLIMBING JACOB'S LADDER!" The original church was torn down and rebuilt.
On April 6, 1911, the work of the NEW CHURCH began. The cornerstone laying ceremony was held on Sunday, April 30, 1911. Since its dedication, the Pastor and Officers of LaMott have worked diligently to provide Christian service. It is through their commitment that we still enjoy the spiritual and material growth of the church.
There has been significant growth and development including donations in memory of loved ones, stained glass windows, pulpit and alter ware, etc. The church has purchased six properties for continuing expansion. Currently, the church’s entrance is being remodeled by the construction of steps and the installation of a ramp to allow full handicap access.
There have been a total of thirty-one Pastors. Rev. Dr. Louis P. Attles is the current Pastor.
We are praising God for how far we have come in the service of the Lord!!